Thursday, July 14, 2011

P.O.W.

Day 30:

The Power of Words

     In the last few days I have listened to a number of heartbreaks. Teens and college students that have had devastating situations engulf their lives. MOST of these heart breaks involve destructive and hurtful words. Words that are devastating and humiliating, Words such as "maybe it was wrong to adopt you, believe you, think you were good". Sometimes friends, but usually parents, to their children. Can you imagine? And yes, I think we can all imagine...because we have all been hurt, humiliated and exhausted to the point of saying and doing really, really stupid stuff.  Then I am reminded of the power of words. With our words we have the power to empower or destroy. With our words we can heal or wound. With our words we can release God's or the enemy's voice.
    I am convicted about the power of my words today. As I'm counsel my teens I realized, today, that I am careful and intentional about my words. I do not want to mislead or lie. I do not want to flatter, humiliate or give false hope. I don't want to over inflate or condemn. I DO want to build-up, empower and give life. I DO want to provide a safe place that any emotion is okay but talked through and understood. Then I question, do I do this in ALL my relationships? Did I encourage or tear down in my marriage? Did I empower or breath life into my friendships? Did I love unconditionally and with humility? And...I honestly don't know, but I can suspect.  I think I did/do my best, but I know how I feel when I'm angry, humiliated and tired. But what am I like now? When I'm emotionally so thin I barely recognize myself....do I reach out to my friends? To those that need me?
     I mean I feel as though that's my heart...to help, but when wounded do I remember that I am Christian first? Or when angry and hurt do I resort to being merely a women...flesh and bone...not lead by my spirit....flawed to the point of selfishness? Do we forget the power of words, the power of our ability to communicate God's heart to others? I am definitely guilty of this...guilty of forgetting the power and influence God has allowed me...to those He has entrusted me with the most...my family and friends.
    Deep thoughts for the day....    

My Survival Plan

Read my Bible - 1 Chronicles 12:19-14:17, Romans 1:1-17, Psalm 9:13-20, Proverbs 19:4-5

Psalms 9:13, "Save me so I can praise you publicly at Jerusalem's gates, so I can rejoice that you have rescued me."

Worship - yes 

Work out - 45 minutes this morning...that's a record..."in the morning" I mean...not 45 minutes

Do something for someone else - held a door open for an elderly man and then the guy after me held the door open for me and the elderly guy and then the guy after the guy holding the door did the same....it's a ripple effect

Do something special for myself - not today

Cook - no dinner...twisted stomach

Emotional state: tired

High point: got up early to work out (okay maybe that's more of an achievement)

Low point:  tanned way to long...little pinky

Tip of the day: crate your puppies...makes all the difference

No comments:

Post a Comment