Friday, July 15, 2011

A flick and fire

Day 31

   I have a thought and a story to share tonight.

Thought:
    It seems lately that God has been speaking to me, "Be still and know I am God." What comes to mind for you when you hear this? For me it has always felt like a flick on the back of my head from God. "Would you chill out you are making me nervous!" It has felt like a reminder from God that I am a Type A, anxious, control freak. A condensing rebuke that sounded more like my dad telling me to stop crying and suck it up. 
     Well....lately, it's taken on a new tone and meaning. Last night and today as I heard, "Be still," I felt a sense of peace, almost as though God was saying, "You don't know everything that is going on." Almost as though God is (frequently) reminding me that "out of sight out of mind" doesn't really apply when the Holy Spirit is involved and at work. There's still that...anxious flutter (and sometimes just a good old fashioned freak out), but "Be still and know that I am God," is more of a surrender and trusting that Holy Spirit is at work even if I can't see it.
     That's hard for me, but I guess His gentle reassurance adds another layer, another depth to trusting Him when I don't understand. It also helps to take the pressure off my shoulders. I don't need to do anything other than what God is instructing for me. Sigh! Still hard for me...but refreshing.  

Story:
      My brother is the business director (there's a fancier title but I can't recall it right now) for a high-end, private school in Denver. Yesterday, during the major thunderstorm of 2011, the school was hit by lightening. My brother said it sounded as though the entire building exploded around them. While the staff scrambled to figure out where the lightening had struck the basement began to flood. At the same time (and unbeknownst to anyone) the chapel ceiling caught on fire. Remember this is all during a massive thunderstorm so the building was being pounded by rain while lightening and thunder filled the skies.
      Once the fire was discovered everyone was evacuated from the building and the fire department, police and water restoration team were called. The chaos was overwhelming. By the time the fire department and water restoration team were allowed in the school the scene had drawn a crowd (taking pictures no less). Eventually my brother and some of the staff were allowed back in to assess the damage. In disbelief (my words not theirs) they discovered that the lightening had struck in the chapel on the exact spot where the cross (that had been there since the 1800's) had been removed a week before. Let that sink in for a second. Someone had the cross removed!
      When I heard this story I had chills up and down my body. What are the chances of all the buildings, in all the cities that exact spot was struck by lightening?

My Survival Plan


Read my Bible - 1 Chronicles 19:1-21:30, Romans 2:25-3:8, Psalm 11:1-7, Proverbs 19:10-12


Romans 2:28, "No, a true Jew is one whose heart is right with God. And true circumcision is not merely obeying the letter of the law; rather it is a change of heart produced by God's Spirit. And a person with a changed heart seeks praise from God, not from people."


Worship - Yes

Work out - Not today...HCG here I come


Do something for someone else - bought dinner for a friend

Do something for myself - took a nap


Eat well - had yummy Chilean bass at Jing


Emotional state: numb


High point: dinner with a friend


Low point:  picked up way to much doggie do


Tip of the day: keep fresh cut fruit on hand...makes snacking easier AND healthier

No comments:

Post a Comment