Friday, July 8, 2011

Jurassic Park

Day 24:

    Earlier today I was watching "Jurassic Park" for possibly the 150th time. I remember when the movie first came out (I was probably 13 or 14)...and I cried. That's right, my 13-year-old self, with my big fatty coke, on the front row bawling like a baby, as I witnessed the scientists stand speechless watching the dinosaurs cross the landscape. Can you imagine such a sight? Then I thought to myself, "I wonder why I like this movie so much?"
     It's definitely not the special effects....very outdated this days. And it's definitely not the attractive actors and actresses...they are not all...well not E!. And it's not their acting abilities (although I do LOVE Jeff Gold-something or another). Then it occurred to me. It's the sense of wonder! The awe-inspiring idea of seeing something never seen before, bigger than life....bigger than many of our imaginations. I think I love this movie because it seduces me out of my normal, everyday life and into a part of myself that tugs at my child-like sense of wonder and imagination. Then I thought, why is that part of myself so hard to connect with on regular basis? When did I stop subjecting myself to creativity, thrill, danger, curiosity, and...well honestly....FUN.
      I know life happens! Responsibility and routine takes over and it's amazing how much of ourselves we push down or to the sides. And I'm not even talking about self as a form of "selfish," I'm addressing the part s of ourselves that keep us plugged into awe and wonder.....eternity even. 
     If we are not made for this world. If we are called to an eternal home unlike anything we can ever imagine. A place with golden streets and everlasting rivers. A God so fierce yet loving that we can never comprehend, how do we lose our sense of wonder. One word "Focus." Kind of like the scientist in "Jurassic Park." They love dinosaurs and the excavation of dino bones, but they had become so focus on the dead dinosaurs they can not wrap their minds around the living, breathing ones. Once they were reconnected with their sense of wonder, and why they loved studying dinos in the first place it was as though the dead bones no longer matter.
     I don't want to focus on my dead bones, dead places that steal my sense of wonder. I actually miss my imagination. I miss being so enraptured with Jesus that I based everything on seeing Him face to face one day. I miss dreaming and the spark of life. I don't want to be that person that has to watch movies and read books to find to gain a sense of something bigger, outside of themselves. I want to focus on the living, breathing wonders!
    Dino hunting here I come! lol jk!
 
My Survival Plan

Read my Bible - 1 Chronicles 4:5-5:17, Acts 25:1-27, Psalm 5:1-12, Proverbs 18:19

Psalms 5:7, "Because of your unfailing love, I can enter your house. I will worship at your Temple with deepest awe.."

Worship - yes, but I still can't figure out this worship I heard at Guts Church.
Work out - yep....plus a LOT of stairs

Do something for someone else - cooked dinner for a friend

Do something special for myself - bought new shorts

Cook - fish tacos, spanish rice and black beans (all homemade...very proud)

Emotional state: tired

High point: being told my blog is "addictive."

Low point:  didn't finish my wall art today

Tip of the day: do not buy organic black beans....they turn to mush.

No comments:

Post a Comment