Thursday, July 7, 2011

The art of distraction

Day 23:

    I am mentally exhausted. It was a long, but fulfilling day. Six appointments, 8 hours and 40 miles later the day if over, I'm eating sushi and watching my puppy chew up my electrical cords. Today, I didn't have much time to think about things or even be sad that I am filing tomorrow. No, today I had just enough time to shove down Chic-fila between appointments and then rush home to take Sapulpa out for her potty break.
    Honestly, this kind of day, a day of distraction and fulfillment, is rather nice. Almost necessary in light of everything. It didn't allow me anytime to workout or catch up on laundry, but it did afford me the opportunity to live in the moment and not worry about tomorrow or the next day. I realize living in distraction is never the way to handle difficulties or hard emotions, but this mini-vacation and break in my emotional roller coaster were welcomed, even refreshing. The art of distraction....I might have found a key to that concept.
     What if there is an art to distraction? A way to emotionally, mentally even physically escape in order for those areas (the soul) to come up for air. Sometimes all those emotions, all that thinking can begin to feel as though you are being buried alive, suffocated by to much reality. Allowing myself (whether deliberate or necessary) to focus on something other than my reality has actually helped with clarity AND my sanity. lol        But even more so, what is going on now is not my entire reality. The art of distraction (or changing my focus- may be a better way to say it), definitely helped me to realize that maybe my focus does not need to be only what is going wrong. Maybe what is going wrong is not my only reality. Maybe there are many other areas that need attention and by just focusing on one I cause that reality to become that much better, more devastating, much more difficult.
      Here's to the art of distraction! Cheers!
        

My Survival Plan

Read my Bible - 1 Chronicles 2:1-4:4, Acts 24:1-27, Psalm 4:1-8, Proverbs 18:16-18

Psalms 4:4, "Don't sin by letting anger control you. Think about it overnight and remain silent."

Worship - not yet!

Work out - nope, but my ears got a work out today

Do something for someone else - lots of advice giving

Do something special for myself - got sushi

Cook - nope...but yummie hot and sour soup and sushi.

Emotional state: tired

High point: being called "pretty" by one of my teens today. :) And she's a brutal one! lol

Low point:  had to cancel on a friend for dinner!

1 comment: